Saturday, April 10, 2010

I had a dream.... and it's name was cookie....

Last night I was craving cookies. Now, I still, remarkably, have some Girl Scout cookies.... likely only because I put them WAY in the back of the pantry. Out of sight out of mind, right? Well, those weren't exactly doing it for me.... so today, I looked for something else. 

I ran across PW's recipe for Oatmeal Crispies (click there to see the step-by-step instructions for the dough). I thought yeah, that might just do it! I wanted something that I could at least THINK was healthy... with oatmeal and pecans well that would be perfect. But then, I decided to tweak it a bit. 

I doubled the recipe and then divided the dough in half, and omitted 1/3 of the oatmeal. The first half I mixed up and ALSO added Macadamia nuts, chopped apricots and cranberries (equal amounts to the pecans):

Seriously, this stuff was really good. And I did learn one bonus to making THIS much dough all at once - you can eat enough to not want to eat anymore and still have plenty of dough left to make lots of cookies! So, I highly recommend this to anyone who likes to eat cookie dough.

The other half of the dough I set aside, before I added the pecans. Now, this dough is really tasty. I'm not sure why I like it SO much... but let's just say, between you & me, I probably ate a full half cup of the plain dough before I added the pecans:


After I mixed all the goodies into the dough, I divided it and wrapped them up in parchment, stuck 'em in freezer bags & into the freezer. I followed Ree's directions (10 minutes at 350), but they weren't even the slightest bit browned.... so another 5 minutes and they came out looking like this:

First were the cookies (nearly) as the recipe directed. I think omitting a  third of the oats might not be such a good idea if you're not adding a bunch of other stuff....However, they were still tasty as all get out and I will definitely make them again, and again... and again....


Now, the ones that I added all the other good stuff to. I found that because the cranberries and macadamia nuts and apricots were somewhat larger pieces, I couldn't cut them quite as thin as the other. As a result, they're a bit softer in the middle.... but the flavors.... the nuts and fruit??? Oh man, this was JUST what the doctor ordered:


No comments:

Post a Comment