Monday, April 19, 2010

Ravioli with Shrimp sauce

After lunch today I put on a movie for LD and promptly fell asleep. When I woke up the movie was over and I realized that I hadn't put anything down to defrost for dinner... So I had to figure out something different - something that I had already (aka left overs) or something that was meant to go from freezer to dinner in very little time (which isn't much).

What I finally decided was that I wanted shrimp and pasta. However, I was out of cream, and fat free milk a good alfredo sauce does NOT make. I rummaged around the freezer and realized that I had frozen shrimp and frozen raviolis, add onion, garlic and some other stuff and it was dinner!

First, place the shrimp in a colander and run cold water over it to defrost. While that's happening, add some olive oil to a non stick pan, once it's hot, add some onions and salt & fresh pepper.

While you CAN get the frozen shrimp with the tails removed, I had these on hand, so once they were defrosted I just pulled the tails off... aren't they pretty??? I LOVE shrimp:


Once the onions are almost translucent, add the shrimp, some salt & freshly ground pepper.

Make sure the heat is on low, cover the pan and gently simmer, while you dice up 4 cloves of garlic - you can roughly dice these or mince them - whatever floats your boat - here's what I like - not so huge that it's overpowering, but still big enough that you can actually bite into the pieces:

After you've cut up the garlic, remove the lid of the pan - in this time there will be quite a lot of broth. Add the garlic and raise the heat to medium, cooking uncovered, stirring occasionally until all the broth is evaporated - you don't want a heavy fishy overtone to this. While you're reducing the shrimp broth, start a pot of water for the raviolis:

Once the broth has COMPLETELY cooked down, and it starts to sizzle, reduce the heat as low as it'll go and pour in a jar or can of your favorite pasta sauce, stir to mix & cover until the pasta is cooked.

Add the ravioli to the boiling water and cook according to package directions - generally, once they start to float they're done:

Once the ravioli are done, drain and top with the sauce.  I got so excited about eating it I forgot to take a picture of it with the cheese on it - I had grated some mozarella to top it all off with - REALLY a nice contrast to the shrimp and the ricotta in the raviolis, and a nice change from parmesan. 


Here's the ingredient list:

1lb frozen shrimp (whole or parts)
1 24oz package frozen raviolis
4 cloves garlic, diced or minced
1/2 large yellow onion, large dice
1 24oz jar of pasta sauce
olive oil, salt & pepper
freshly grated mozarella cheese

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment