Thursday, April 29, 2010

Strawberry Shortcake Cake. Send Help... Hurry!!

Today I made PW's Strawberry Shortcake Cake. I thought, "hey, after Tuesday's crazy wind & rain, and the very UN-Spring like SNOW on Wednesday, we needed something that screamed spring." I had strawberries that needed to be used, so this seemed the perfect solution. Oh boy, was I ever wrong!

I wasn't wrong that it screamed Spring. It really did - it also made me think of summer, bbq's, and splashing in the creek. I wasn't entirely wrong that it was a solution either. So exactly what was I wrong about? I assumed that this would be a nice light fruit-filled confection, with a fluffy, spongy like cake (you know, like a mix from a box?). I was wrong. Oh so wrong. I never would have known it by looking at it..... would you? I mean, look at it, it's PERTY!! Look at how the strawberries peek through the frosting!

Now, don't let me confuse you here. The cake was truly amazing. It was more an issue of my own tolerance for sugary sweet stuff that did me in. You see, sometimes sweets are just fine. Like PW's apple dumplings with vanilla ice cream. Or the Texas Sheet Cake I made the other day. They are a nice balance of sugar and other things. But there are times like this, times when there's just too much for me to handle. In this sort of case I can tell in minutes (literally one or two) if I'm going to have a reaction. I'm not sure if it's an allergic reaction, or if it's simply just too much sugar.

Whatever the case the reaction is always the same - It starts off with this Extreme Headache, the kind that throbs no matter how you move. And don't even THINK of bending over or sneezing! Next, my teeth start hurting... yeah, I know, weird. Finally, if I stop going I can collapse in a heap in seconds flat - a true sugar coma.

Well this cake sent me over the edge into that Sugar Coma in record time. It was..... the frosting.... 1 package of cream cheese, 2 sticks of unsalted butter, vanilla and a pinch of salt.... oh, and a POUND & A HALF  (yes, 1.5 lbs) of powdered sugar... I didn't even use all the frosting either. I can't imagine what it'd be like if I had used all the frosting. I probably wouldn't be typing right now. I'd probably be frantically scavenging for some celery (Can you name that movie?).

Now that I've bashed this sinful delight, let me tell you what I LOVED about it, because yes, help me, I did love it! I loved an entire 1/8th of the cake, which was probably part of the problem. Maybe... I should have had a smaller piece? Maybe I should have chilled the cake for several hours (like PW says to do) before cutting into it? But, I just couldn't be bothered with the waiting....or a smaller piece. So I ate the WHOLE piece.... and I was soooooo sorry I did. Not because it didn't taste good.... No Ma'am!

The cake is definitely like a short cake - dense with a semi-crusty outside. (And I absolutely love shortcake.)  This was no exception, it was more like a biscuit than a cake in texture, and I loved it. I also loved how the sugary sauce from the strawberries was absorbed by the cake - it added an extra depth of flavor to the cake which was really wonderful. I also loved the way this cake looks... I can see it sitting on a pretty table for a tea party or a foo-foo ladie's luncheon. But, it definitely needs to be served in small pieces!!


I would say, if you're brave enough.... if you don't slip into a sugar coma like I do...if your teeth don't hurt just reading this post... that this cake is OH SO WORTH making.  I think for me however, IF I make this again, it's going to need many more strawberries and a much lighter frosting. And definitely a smaller serving! Cause I like to be coherent after dessert, most of the time. Oh wait,  maybe a whipped cream/Cool Whip type frosting with some berries in it... Oh, I could even imagine this with a whole assortment of berries.... And I think making it in a 9x13 pan might make it easier to get a smaller piece with less of the frosting on it all at once.

Ok maybe, just maybe, this cake may have been granted a reprieve....with the help of a vegetable intervention I may just recover.

No comments:

Post a Comment