Saturday, April 24, 2010

Texas Sheet Cake

After a couple hours of gardening stuff this morning and enjoying a near perfect spring day, LD and I decided to make this cake... because, well, any time is a good time for a chocolate cake, especially one that is this yummy.

I first had this delightful, and oh so rich, cake at a block party, more than 15 years ago. The woman who brought it also brought these amazing little beef & green chile burritos in foil. I couldn't get enough of either one. I asked her for the recipe for both... However, she said I could only have ONE....

Oh the torture... Oh the anguish.....I told her I would have to think about which one I wanted and get back to her. After a couple of miserable days recalling BOTH of the dishes, I finally decided on the Texas Sheet Cake. Now, mind you, this was before the internet was as common place in people's homes as a coffee maker. Today you can probably go to any recipe website and find a recipe very similar to this one, if not this exact one.

Even though it's made from scratch, it's really easy - in fact, I often forget how easy it is until I break down and make it. You don't even have to frost it because you pour the warm frosting on the cake immediately after it comes out of the oven - gravity does most of the work...Here's my budding chef mixing the cake batter.

I do have to warn you though, this is one of those desserts that sneaks up on you.... It doesn't seem rich at first... Before you know it, you've eaten half a pan and are collapsing on the floor in a sugar coma. It sort of reminds me of a really light (in texture) brownie with a fudge frosting that has become one with the cake. And, as tempting as it is to eat it before it cools completely, DON'T... let me save you the agony now..... It's SO much better after it's completely cooled. This also keeps the frosting from running off the cake, which is really, REALLY important. It just is, trust me on this one.

The verdict? LD, my chocolate-connoisseur kid, had not a word to say till it was all gone... Now that's a good chocolate cake!

Here's the recipe:

Heat Oven to 375, grease & flour a large rimmed baking sheet (jelly roll pan), the deeper the better. Mine is almost an inch deep. I have officially been converted to this stuff (Baker's Joy Spray) by PW... it's AMAZING and SO much easier than greasing & flouring a baking dish, plus it doesn't leave a layer of flour on the cake!!! (you can even get it at Wal Mart!)

Anyway, back to the cake....

Mix in a large bowl:
2 c. flour
2 c. sugar
1/2 tsp. salt
1 tsp baking soda

In a sauce pan mix
2 sticks (1 c.) butter
1 c. Water
4 tsp. cocoa powder (unsweetened)
Bring to a boil, then boil for 10 seconds longer and remove from heat and mix into the flour mixture. After it's mixed completely, add:
1/2c. Sour Cream
2 eggs
Mix well and pour into your prepared pan.

Bake for 20-25 minutes until a toothpick comes out of the middle of the cake clean.

While the cake is baking, make the frosting - the timing should be almost perfect - I was able to wash the dishes from the cake and make the frosting and it was done exactly when the cake came out of the oven.

In a sauce pan, melt
2 sticks (1 c.) butter

Add 4 Tbsp. cocoa powder, mix well and reduce heat to low
Add:
1 tsp. vanilla
1lb (3 1/2 c.) powdered sugar
6 tbsp. sour cream
and, if you want, 1c. chopped nuts. I used macadamia nuts today - but it's also VERY good with pecans.

When the cake is done, immediately pour the warm frosting over the top of the warm cake. Cool completely before cutting into squares and serving.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment